Wednesday, March 13, 2013
25 Things I've learned About Motherhood
I've been a mother for just about 8 years now, and I have learned an immeasureable amount about myself, about kids, and about my husband. Here is a collective list of some of those things.
1. Showers are a luxury, uninterrupted restroom breaks are non-existant.
2. Keeping your outfit clean is as impossible as keeping the kids' clean. By the end of the day,expect anything from dirt, snot, food, or even poop on yourself. note - CHECK your outfit before heading out in public and having someone else point out the streak of boogers on your thigh (true story).
3. Just because you have kids doesn't mean the romance is dead in your relationship. I've heard that before, and I totally disagree. If it is important to you, you'll find the time and energy!
4. Toothpaste is apparently hard to get on toothbrushes, but easy to get EVERYWHERE else. If someone could invent a way to brush teeth without the gooey stuff, my bathroom would love you for it.
5. Silence is the scariest sound in the world when kids are around. It means that they are up to no good. Silence is golden, however, when children are out with Daddy.
6. Being a referree sure isn't as fun as the NFL makes it out to be. But it's just as necessary.
7. Eavesdropping on little conversations becomes your favorite past-time. You get to hear their uncensored thoughts and dreams, it is truly amazing.
8. Sibling love is an amazing thing to watch....sibling fights can be a nightmare.
9. When playing board games, the rules become more like guidelines. This will happen because a child will no doubt lose the dice or step on the board and send all the pieces tumbling off their spaces. Or because a child is losing for the 4th time in a row and they just need an extra $50 of monopoly money to get them through :).
10. After days of 24/7 with the little boogers, you just NEED A BREAK. But come Friday night, you say goodbye to the kids and the babysitter, and you miss them like crazy!!
11. Spend all night cooking dinner, and kids won't touch it. Throw on some Top Ramen, and everyone wolfs it down.
12. Kids "helping" makes the job take twice as long. Let them anyways, it's worth it.
13. If your kids enjoy a movie one night, be prepared to watch it non-stop for the next month. I now know Lion King and Aladdin by heart.
14. Your house gets sticky. You don't know how, you don't know why, but it keeps happening just the same.
15. Laundry is never-ending. Dishes are never-ending. Some days you go on strike and say "what does it matter, they just pile up again anyways." Then you can't find a clean spoon or clean socks, and you realize that going on strike against yourself is just never going to work.
16. Things break. A lot. Even better, everyone says "it wasn't me!" with the most innocent of faces. You must become a private investegator to properly bust the guilty party.
17. Disciplining your child really DOES hurt you more than them.
18. Your son will, at one point say that your spankings "tickle". You'll have to try hard not to laugh. Then give the spanking job to your husband.
19. You will get embarrassed in public a LOT. Whether its the out loud "that guys stinks" comment, or the fit thrown in the middle of the supermarket, they'll make you look like a fool at least once...a day.
20. No one's hugs and kisses feel better.
21. Hearing "Mom, your the best Mom" is the greatest compliment you'll ever receive.
22. Watching your children grow and develop gives you such mixed emotions, and sometimes you wish you could start it all over again.
23. Knowing that your husband loves the kids with the same love as you have for them creates a new bond, and makes marriage even that much MORE worth the effort.
24. Kids' innocent faith in God is beautiful. Their prayers are even more beautiful.
25. Time goes way too fast. It is so important to see every day as a gift. Love on them and spend time with them every chance you get.
I'm sure I can come up with hundreds more, but these are the first ones that popped into my head. I treasure my time as Mommy, and am so blessed that God has given me these 3 little munchkins!!