Search This Blog

Thursday, February 19, 2009

Birth Story

SONJA JORDYN RITTER is here!! Here is her wonderful birth story!





I went in to the hospital on February 15th at midnight to be induced. On Wednesday the 12th I went into the ER because my water had broken. Turns out it was only a pocket of my water, and I was no longer leaking it and there was enough left to send me home. I was bummed! They did have me follow up with the doctor the following day, and my doctor advised that we go ahead and set up the inducement as soon as the hospital had an empty bed. I agreed! I was worried for her health and was really getting anxious.





They started my pitocin at 2am on Feb 16th, but kept it really low for the first 5 hours. The doctor came in at 7:30am and broke my water, and then they upped the dose. Jason was in there the entire time with me. We watched a couple of movies and just hung out. Jason's mom Crystal came in around 9am to join us. Gary, my mom, and Carmen were also in and out. The labor pains really started to get going around noon or so. I started kind of zoning everyone else out and really focusing on breathing through them. It was nice though to have people around talking to keep my mind off of what was going on in between pains.





It was really slow progress. My cervix was posterior, and was stuck that way, so basically every contraction was just pushing against the cervix wall, not the opening. So I wasn't dialating very well at all. It was so frustrating! Especially when my doctor said that if it wasn't posterior I would have probably already had her [by noon]. The nurse had me get on all fours in attempt to encourage the cervix forward. It somewhat worked, but things were still altogether slow.

I finally decided to have an epidural around 3p.m. I was going to go natural, but with my cervix being posterior and nothing happening, I was running out of steam. I opted for the "walking epidural", which allowed me to still feel the contractions and the birth, but take the "edge" off of it. The contractions were actually still pretty painful with the epidural, but it definitely helped.

After I had my epidural, the doctor came and tried to pull my cervix forward. Since I was numbed, he was able to do it without making me pass out from pain. It worked! I started to progress much faster!!Sonja's heartbeat kept going way down with the contractons near the end, so they kept having me change positions in an attempt to help her out. I was so stressed out for her. I kept praying and praying that everything would be o.k. I was starting to worry that between my posterior cervix and the heartbeat dropping, I'd end up with a c-section. But, when they had me sit straight up, her heartbeat stayed stable! I was so relieved! I am so thankful to God that he kept her safe.

At 5:20, they brought the doctor in to have me push. The birth was amazing!! Jason, Crystal, and Car men were present in the room. My doctor, Bradley Folkestad, is the absolute best doctor ever. He is such a nice guy, and when it came to the birth, I was totally confident in him to take care of us. And he did! As with my other 2, it only took 3 pushes. She arrived at 5:40 p.m. Big, beautiful, and perfect.





Daddy got to cut the cord, just like with Jayna and Xander. This was the first time I actually got to see it though. The other times whatever position they had me in made it hard to see, but with this one I was able to see it all! It was so wonderful!


What a joyous moment it was the first time I held my new daughter. I was so excited to meet her, and so thankful that she out safe and sound. She weighed in at 8 lbs 2 oz (my doctor was right about her being big...just think if I would have waited a week for her due date!), and 19 3/4 inches long. Her head was 13.5 inches. She had a nice lusty cry right from the get go. The nurse gave her an Agpar score of 10, which is the highest you can give. She said it was the first one she has given all year, and will very likely be the last. She is amazingly healthy!! I am so lucky. So, so thankful that God has blessed us so much



Daddy is a pro now at being in the birth room, but nothing can ever totally prepare a father for the awe of watching your new baby being born. He enjoyed this birth so much because he knew what was happening the whole time. We were both so excited the whole time...the scene was amazing and we were able to bond so much during this birth. I will cherish the birth of our youngest for the rest of my life.




Jayna and Xander were thrilled to meet their new sister. At first I thought Xander was jealous of her, but come to find out, he was just upset because we weren't letting him hold her! They are so cute with "baby". My nest is full, and I am so content with my beautiful, perfect family.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations Christina and Jason!! I am SO very happy for you. Sonja is absolutely beautiful just like her mom and sister!
    I can't wait for your other baby shower so I can meet the little one!
    May she always be healthy and happy! Congrats guys!

    ReplyDelete